People & Business: By design
Thursday 21 January 1999
"We started in 1989 with 32 art galleries exhibiting and 4,000 visitors. We sold pounds 200,000 worth of art," Mr Morris recalls. "Now we have 90 galleries, get 40,000 visitors and we expect to sell around pounds 10m worth of work."
Mr Morris adds that taking into account art works sold after the exhibition closes, "we think the value of our art market is pounds 15m to pounds 20m".
Despite the success of the Design Centre as an exhibition venue, Mr Morris insists he has "no plans to float the business - even though lots of City people keep approaching me".
Mr Morris believes in keeping it in the family - his four brothers are also in business, while 13 grandchildren are waiting in the wings.
Youngest brother Jack is chairman of the Design Centre, while Gerald, Paul and Phillip run CIL International, a shopfitting company that recently _fitted out the duty free complexes at Hong Kong and Dubai airports.
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
competitive: SThree: Are you passionate about sales?Do you have a keen interes...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...