People and Business: Big punter
A bet of pounds 20,000 would be a small affair for Mr McManus, and no cash needs to change hands when he bets, a nod being good enough.
According to race track lore he recently bet pounds 140,000 on a series of three bets and lost on each one. One of his horses Istrabraq, was "hottest favourite all week", and duly won the Smurfit Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy on Tuesday.
Mr McManus also owns Le Coudray a leading contender for the Stayers Hurdle yesterday unfortunately Le Coudray only managed to come second.
Mr McManus is part of a tightly knit group of racing pals including John Magnier, the race horse owner, Joe Lewis, the Bermudan based financier who was involved in the Enic bid for Wembley Stadium.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
Briton to face court after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 2 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 3 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Mourinho will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 4 Civil partnerships amendment 'could wreck' gay marriage Bill, Government sources warn
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: Sourcing Manager - Banking - London - Up to £500p...
To be discussed at interview.: Queen Elizabeth's School: An experienced and ef...
£294.05 - £330.92 per day + 150 per day travel and accommodation: Orgtel: A le...