People and Business: Heated time for receivers
Wednesday 17 February 1999
On 26 January the House of Lords debated a motion to end the practice where an investigating accountant sent in to help a troubled company is subsequently appointed its receiver.
In support of the motion, Lord Montague of Oxford pointed out that "a Chinese wall is like a Chinese takeaway. One takes it home and puts it in a microwave. I suggest to noble lords that many of the receivers should be dealt with in a similar way."
Ken Baird, a partner with City law firm Freshfields, who passed on this snippet, added: "Possibly this is more of an argument for reform of the upper chamber than for reform of the Insolvency Act 1986".
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
Californian drought is so severe it's 'causing the ground to move'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£400 - £500 per day: Orgtel: Test Manager - Banking - West Yorkshire - £400-£5...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: SAS Developer, Chester, Banking, DI Studio, £450-...
£20000 - £30000 per annum + OTE £40 - £50K first year: SThree: SThree Group an...