Planned return to market for Sock Shop
Thursday 20 June 1996
The plan has been drawn up by Peter Ridsdale, managing director of the Tulchan Group which owns both Jumper and Sock Shop. The company made profits of around pounds 1.5m on sales of pounds 24.5m in the year to January.
Jumper has 105 stores and 40 concessions in department stores. Based at Carnforth in Lancashire, it also includes a wholesale division. Almost all its equity is held by venture capital groups including 3i and Prudential Ventures, who backed a management buy-out in 1992.
Mr Ridsdale hopes to inject more life into the 75 Sock Shop outlets by refurbishing the stores and concentrating on socks, hosiery and underwear. He says the company has received enquiries from several department store groups about possible in-store concessions. "The brand name still has a lot of latent loyalty," he said.
It is thought Jumper paid several million pounds for Sock Shop, which recorded a loss last year. It is expected make a contribution to profits this year.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...