Planning begins at home

Self-employment brings freedom from the office but needs organisation, says Tom Tickell

At least five million people work at home. More than half of them earn over pounds 35,000 a year - and one in five make pounds 80,000 or more, according to CGU, one of the main insurers. Drive and enthusiasm are vital. But before you get to that stage, you need to be well organised.


You must notify the Revenue as soon as you go self-employed. This will trigger payment of flat-rate Class 2 National Insurance contributions. Paying these will qualify you for incapacity benefit, the state pension and, for women, the widow's pension and maternity allowance. You will also have to pay Class 4 contributions on everything you earn from pounds 7,530 to pounds 26,000. Those with a turnover of pounds 51,000 or more have to register for VAT.

If you are self-employed, you can claim all expenses incurred "wholly and exclusively" as part of your business. So you can spend money linking up to the internet, installing extra lines, producing promotional leaflets, travelling to conferences or visiting potential clients.

Many people working at home use one room in their house as an office. If, for example, one of six rooms in your home is an office you can set one-sixth of the heating and lighting bills against tax, as well as one- sixth of the rates. There will be many other tax-deductible expenses, and an accountant can make the most of the allowances open to you.

Home insurance

Some specialist insurers, like Zurich, offers home office cover as an add-on to their standard contents insurance. Other insurance groups offer much more specialised policies (see box for details of all-in policies).

"Most self-employed people need much more than extended contents insurance cover," says Ian Jones, of broker Tolson Messenger, which specialises in deals for the self-employed. "Insurance contracts will always cover mobile phones or laptop computers if they are stolen from home. But they may well leave you on your own if equipment disappears when you are visiting clients."

You should tell your mortgage lender that you are going to work from home and your motor insurer if you plan to use the car for your work.

If you are thinking of moving house or taking out a loan, say, for a new car, do it before you go self-employed. Lenders are notoriously old fashioned and many still demand three years' audited accounts before they will take you on as a risk.

Look at taking out a flexible mortgage before you go self-employed. These deals allow you to make overpayments when you have cash to spare, and then miss a month or two when times are harder. Many lenders have flexible deals, including Legal & General, Woolwich and Sainsbury's Bank.


It's vital to sort out insurance that will pay a lump sum if you fall ill, or pays you an income if you can't work through illness or disability. Premiums can easily top pounds 100 a month for a woman wanting a monthly income of pounds 1,300. But you can knock down the cost by agreeing to a lengthy waiting period before the policy pays out.

Also check all your existing insurance policies. Some unemployment and sickness insurance polices designed to pay the mortgage when you have no income are set up to exclude the self-employed. If you have an income replacement scheme in place, you can probably do without a separate mortgage payment policy.

n Contacts: Axa, 01222 239 239; Cornhill, 0845 601 0594; Norwich Union, 0800 0562 450; Tolson Messenger, 0800 374 246.


*For a 35-year-old graphic designer living in Cambridge

Cost Equipment Equipment Employer/

(home) (away) public


Tolson pounds 228.48 pounds 7,500 pounds 1,500 Yes

Norwich Union pounds 315.22 pounds 7,500 pounds 2,250 Yes

Cornhill pounds 449.63 pounds 7,500 pounds 1,500 Extra

Axa Unity pounds 466.27 pounds 5,000 pounds 1,500 Extra

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
ebooksA special investigation by Andy McSmith
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

SThree: Recruitment Resourcer

£20000 - £21000 per annum + uncapped commission: SThree: As a graduate you are...

Ashdown Group: Junior Application Support Analyst - Fluent German Speaker

£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...

Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisor

£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Advisor is r...

Ashdown Group: Trainee Consultant - Surrey / South West London

£22000 per annum + pension,bonus,career progression: Ashdown Group: An establi...

Day In a Page

Syrian conflict is the world's first 'climate change war', say scientists, but it won't be the last one

Climate change key in Syrian conflict

And it will trigger more war in future
How I outwitted the Gestapo

How I outwitted the Gestapo

My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin
The nation's favourite animal revealed

The nation's favourite animal revealed

Women like cuddly creatures whilst men like creepy-crawlies
Is this the way to get young people to vote?

Getting young people to vote

From #VOTESELFISH to Bite the Ballot
Poldark star Heida Reed: 'I don't think a single bodice gets ripped'

Poldark star Heida Reed

'I don't think a single bodice gets ripped'
The difference between America and Israel? There isn’t one

The difference between America and Israel? There isn’t one

Netanyahu knows he can get away with anything in America, says Robert Fisk
Families clubbing together to build their own affordable accommodation

Do It Yourself approach to securing a new house

Community land trusts marking a new trend for taking the initiative away from developers
Head of WWF UK: We didn’t send Cameron to the Arctic to see green ideas freeze

David Nussbaum: We didn’t send Cameron to the Arctic to see green ideas freeze

The head of WWF UK remains sanguine despite the Government’s failure to live up to its pledges on the environment
Author Kazuo Ishiguro on being inspired by shoot-outs and samurai

Author Kazuo Ishiguro on being inspired by shoot-outs and samurai

Set in a mythologised 5th-century Britain, ‘The Buried Giant’ is a strange beast
With money, corruption and drugs, this monk fears Buddhism in Thailand is a ‘poisoned fruit’

Money, corruption and drugs

The monk who fears Buddhism in Thailand is a ‘poisoned fruit’
America's first slavery museum established at Django Unchained plantation - 150 years after slavery outlawed

150 years after it was outlawed...

... America's first slavery museum is established in Louisiana
Kelly Clarkson: How I snubbed Simon Cowell and become a Grammy-winning superstar

Kelly Clarkson: How I snubbed Simon Cowell and become a Grammy-winning superstar

The first 'American Idol' winner on how she manages to remain her own woman – Jane Austen fascination and all
Tony Oursler on exploring our uneasy relationship with technology with his new show

You won't believe your eyes

Tony Oursler's new show explores our uneasy relationship with technology. He's one of a growing number of artists with that preoccupation
Ian Herbert: Peter Moores must go. He should never have been brought back to fail again

Moores must go. He should never have been brought back to fail again

The England coach leaves players to find solutions - which makes you wonder where he adds value, says Ian Herbert
War with Isis: Fears that the looming battle for Mosul will unleash 'a million refugees'

The battle for Mosul will unleash 'a million refugees'

Aid agencies prepare for vast exodus following planned Iraqi offensive against the Isis-held city, reports Patrick Cockburn