Poirot takes a stab at merchandising
Thursday 04 June 1998
Virtually no merchandising of the Queen of Crime has ever taken place. But that will now change dramatically, David Lane, director of Chorion, said last night.
His company acquired a 64 per cent share in Agatha Christie from Booker for pounds 10m. The remaining 36 per cent will continue to be owned by members of the Agatha Christie family and family trusts.
Mathew Prichard, the writer's grandson, will remain chairman of the company, which owns the copyright of virtually all of Christie's works.
Chorion already has ownership rights to the works and merchandise exploitation of Enid Blyton, and in the last year earned pounds 750,000 from such items as clothes and children's lunchboxes, and even Noddy chopsticks in Japan. The company also owns a number of nightclubs and operates the Pepsi Imax cinema in the Trocadero entertainment complex in the capital.
Chorion, formerly know as Trocadero, transformed itself as a leisure and entertainment group last September when it sold the Trocadero complex to Burford Holdings.
Mr Lane said: "With Agatha Christie something needs to be done in terms of brand awareness.I envisage jigsaws with scenes from the feature films, detective games, activity books for children with treasure hunts and mystery solving."
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
Oscar de la Renta dead: Legendary US fashion designer dies after long cancer battle aged 82
Oscar Pistorius: The brutal prison life that awaits disgraced athlete
Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
Super-sized ships arrive in Britain: How big can they get?
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 per annum + pension and 22 days holiday: Ashdown Group: An established ...
£27000 per annum + pension, 22 days holiday: Ashdown Group: An established ind...
£23000 - £26000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£25 - 30k: Guru Careers: A Corporate Actions Administrator / Operations Admini...