P&O-Stena merger gets green light
Thursday 20 November 1997
Both the UK Government and the European Commission gave the merger the green light provided the two companies agreed to price capping on short Channel routes once duty-free sales were abolished in mid-1999. The new company, P&O Stena Line, will start operations early in 1998. Margaret Beckett, President of the Board of Trade, said the price cap was necessary because the abolition of duty-free retailing might have led to a "fall- out" among ferry operators.
Despite the seemingly onerous condition, both companies expressed delight with the deal. They have been waiting to combine since October 1996 when both claimed they needed to cut capacity and end the fierce fare wars between ferry operators.
"We will start implementing the plan within hours. It's been a long time waiting for it but at least it has been worth waiting for," said Lord Sterling, chairman of P&O.
Stena will take a 40 per cent stake in the venture while P&O will get the remaining 60 per cent. Both will have equal voting rights.
Some 1,000 jobs in the total workforce of 5,000 are likely to be axed through voluntary redundancy. The Rail, Maritime and Transport workers union, which represents most staff, gave a cautious welcome to the merger. The two companies will combine operations across the Channel, especially on the lucrative Dover-Calais route, competing mainly with Eurotunnel.
- Randeep Ramesh
It looks very much as though 2015 will be a good year for the world economy, after all – and, if it is, that will be thanks to the fall in the oil price. It won't be good for everyone and we have already seen the pressure it puts on the Russian leadership – though, before you conclude that sometimes there is natural justice in the world, remember that the people who are hurt are not leaders such as Vladimir Putin. Other oil- and gas-exporting countries are damaged, too, and I think we will see further fallout in unpredictable ways. But the net impact is strongly positive, more so than most commentators at present acknowledge. The winners far outnumber the losers.
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
iJobs Money & Business
$200 - $350 per annum: Carlton Senior Appointments: Managing Producer Office...
$125 - $225 per annum: Carlton Senior Appointments: San Fran - Investment Advi...
Up to £70,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...
Up to £65,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...