Proposal for casino tax eased
Tuesday 30 June 1998
The proposal is that the new top rate of tax, 40 per cent, will now apply only to gross gaming yield in excess of pounds 4.2m a year instead of pounds 2.9m.
In the Budget, Mr Brown had proposed changes which would raise revenue from the tax by pounds 25m pounds in a year. Tax of 2.5 per cent was to be payable on the first pounds 400,000 of gross gaming yield; 12.5 per cent on the next pounds 1m; 25 per cent on the next pounds 1.5m; and 40 per cent on the remainder.
Under the amendment, the 2.5 per cent tax band is raised to pounds 450,000 of gross yield; the next pounds 1m will be at 12.5 per cent; the next pounds 1m 20 per cent; the next pounds 1.75m 30 per cent; and the remainder 40 per cent. The amendment is expected to be debated in the Commons today.
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
iJobs Money & Business
£45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, ...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Per...
£450 - £600 per day: Harrington Starr: AIFMD Business Analyst / Consultant - I...
£450 - £600 per day: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Solvency II SME (Pilla...