Proposal for casino tax eased
Tuesday 30 June 1998
The proposal is that the new top rate of tax, 40 per cent, will now apply only to gross gaming yield in excess of pounds 4.2m a year instead of pounds 2.9m.
In the Budget, Mr Brown had proposed changes which would raise revenue from the tax by pounds 25m pounds in a year. Tax of 2.5 per cent was to be payable on the first pounds 400,000 of gross gaming yield; 12.5 per cent on the next pounds 1m; 25 per cent on the next pounds 1.5m; and 40 per cent on the remainder.
Under the amendment, the 2.5 per cent tax band is raised to pounds 450,000 of gross yield; the next pounds 1m will be at 12.5 per cent; the next pounds 1m 20 per cent; the next pounds 1.75m 30 per cent; and the remainder 40 per cent. The amendment is expected to be debated in the Commons today.
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Katie Hopkins breaks down in tears over weight gain challenge: ‘I hate fat people for making me do this’
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £45000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Front-Of...
£700 per day: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Developer C++, Python, STL, R, PD...
£700 per day: Harrington Starr: Java/Calypso Developer Java, Calypso, J2EE, J...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer SQL, C#, Stored Procedures, MDX...