Punch sets pub quiz for Whitbread board
Monday 12 July 1999
The Punch chairman wants to know: 1) Why does Whitbread believe that its offer, valued at pounds 2.874bn, is worth more than Punch's offer, worth pounds 3.008bn, including the value of the Bass dividend and Bass share option?
2) Is it true that Whitbread would demerge its brewing interests to meet regulatory requirements? If so, at what value?
3) How does Whitbread explain the 26 per cent decline in its share price relative to the FTSE 100 between 2 June 1997 when David Thomas was appointed as chief executive and 12 January 1999 when Whitbread made its trading statement?
4) What is Whitbread's core strategy? Last September it said it would focus on hotels and leisure and less on pubs. Now it wants to buy Allied Domecq's entire pub estate.
5) Is it true that Whitbread has asked its retailing employees to reapply for their jobs?
6) Is it true that Allied Domecq has extracted the best price Whitbread could pay? If so, how could Whitbread's shares be recommended as a good investment to Allied shareholders?
7) Will the Punch cash offer or the Whitbread cash and shares offer provide the best protection against a market crash?
8) Which core brands has Whitbread developed itself?
9) How does Whitbread explain the 3.9 per cent decline in sales in its food outlets in 1998/9 when rival Pizza Express has increased sales by 8.7 per cent?
10) What is Whitbread's cost of capital? (Punch estimates 8.5 to 9 per cent). What rate of return does Whitbread expect on its proposed acquisition? (Punch estimates 7.3 to 7.7 per cent). When would the acquisition become EVA (Economic Value Added) positive for Whitbread?
Mr Osmond says shareholders should be told the answers.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Stephen Hawking's wife Jane Wilde on their marriage breakdown: 'The family were left behind'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Putin critic may have been murdered by Islamic extremists, says president-led committee
British are sexually uptight, dirty and drink too much – according to Spanish book
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
White and gold or blue and black – what colour is the dress? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...