Punch sets pub quiz for Whitbread board
Monday 12 July 1999
The Punch chairman wants to know: 1) Why does Whitbread believe that its offer, valued at pounds 2.874bn, is worth more than Punch's offer, worth pounds 3.008bn, including the value of the Bass dividend and Bass share option?
2) Is it true that Whitbread would demerge its brewing interests to meet regulatory requirements? If so, at what value?
3) How does Whitbread explain the 26 per cent decline in its share price relative to the FTSE 100 between 2 June 1997 when David Thomas was appointed as chief executive and 12 January 1999 when Whitbread made its trading statement?
4) What is Whitbread's core strategy? Last September it said it would focus on hotels and leisure and less on pubs. Now it wants to buy Allied Domecq's entire pub estate.
5) Is it true that Whitbread has asked its retailing employees to reapply for their jobs?
6) Is it true that Allied Domecq has extracted the best price Whitbread could pay? If so, how could Whitbread's shares be recommended as a good investment to Allied shareholders?
7) Will the Punch cash offer or the Whitbread cash and shares offer provide the best protection against a market crash?
8) Which core brands has Whitbread developed itself?
9) How does Whitbread explain the 3.9 per cent decline in sales in its food outlets in 1998/9 when rival Pizza Express has increased sales by 8.7 per cent?
10) What is Whitbread's cost of capital? (Punch estimates 8.5 to 9 per cent). What rate of return does Whitbread expect on its proposed acquisition? (Punch estimates 7.3 to 7.7 per cent). When would the acquisition become EVA (Economic Value Added) positive for Whitbread?
Mr Osmond says shareholders should be told the answers.
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 4 Tory activist asked to step down after Labour candidate Rupa Huq is 'manhandled' while questioning Boris Johnson on the campaign trail
Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
Russian warships accused of 'chasing away' Swedish vessel to prevent Baltic States from achieving energy independence
How the language you speak changes your view of the world
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior SEO Executive is requi...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Online customer Service Admi...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This global, industry leading, ...