Racketeering scandal hits Nomura profits
Friday 25 April 1997
The company yesterday announced that fees from underwriting stocks and bonds in Japan soared by a third in the year to end-March, but reported an overall net loss of 271bn (pounds 1.32bn) due to the bail out of a real- estate lending subsidiary.
While conceding that the sokaiya scandal would hurt profits this year, Nomura predicted it would remain in the black even if customers continued to desert and if it was ordered by the regulatory authorities to shut down trading on its own account for several months.
In March alone, when the scandal broke, profits were halved, said Takamichi Arata, director of Nomura's finance department. "This year will be difficult. But by cutting costs, we'll probably manage to stay in the black." Earlier this week every top executive resigned from Nomura.
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
iJobs Money & Business
£20 - 24k (Uncapped Commission - £35k Year 1 OTE): Guru Careers: We are seekin...
£20 - 24k + Benefits: Guru Careers: This is a great opportunity for an enthusi...
£280 - £320 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...