Richemont launches pounds 1bn bid to buy remainder of Vendome
Saturday 29 November 1997
Richemont, which already owns 70 per cent of Vendome, is offering 495p a share for the remaining 30 per cent, valuing Vendome, quoted in London and Luxembourg, at pounds 3.45bn.
The price is a 26 per cent premium to the shares' pre-bid value. Vendome's shares closed 79p higher yesterday at 472.5p.
Though Johann Rupert, chief executive of Richemont, is hoping for a recommendation from Vendome's board, he said that the company may decide not to proceed with the offer if the world's financial markets collapsed further and threatened Vendome's markets.
However, speaking at the group's interim results, Joseph Kanoui, Vendome's chairman, said the financial turmoil had not affected the spending habits of its wealthy customers.
Mr Rupert expects the deal to go ahead smoothly. He said: "This is a generous premium for the minority shareholders. We only approached the board yesterday. We wanted to give them an opportunity to announce their half-yearly results without being prejudiced by a deal. That strategy cost us 60p in one day."
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Perez Hilton apologises for publishing Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
Jennifer Lawrence 'nude photo hacker' claims there are hundreds more celebrity images to come
Victoria Justice on naked photo leak: 'Let me nip this in the bud right now – pun intended'
Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
Ariana Grande nude photos leak: Pictures are completely fake, say representatives
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: HR Generalist (standalone) - Tunbrid...
£600 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Derivatives Risk Commodities Business A...
£600 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Power & Gas Business Analyst/Subject Ma...
£600 - £900 per day: Harrington Starr: Infrastructure Lead, (Trading infrastru...