Sunday 21 February 1999
* Because of Communism "some kids (in Romania) will drop their pants for a few dollars, and a lot of cops will look the other way for not much more".
* Not many people in the UK have ever considered investing in Bulgaria. Now is the right time to do so (Bulgarian government advert).
* "The meddling of the information and communication markets is a hot topic in the computer world".
* The proportion of red-coloured sweets in a packet of moms is 20 per cent. Thirty per cent are brown, 10 per cent are blue. The manufacturers change these proportions from time to time to sell more packets and make lots of profits.
* People in Sweden are rich and smug. But world market forces will make them poor and miserable unless they work harder in future and generally buck up their ideas (Cover story).
* "When you drive your car at 90 mph, you get to your destination faster".
THE WEEK'S COMMODITY NEWS IN A NUTSHELL
The Vietnamese have caused a fall in world pepper prices. Palladium is volatile and silver is wobbly in New York. Indonesian wood pulp is looking cheap. But everything that comes from Columbia (ie cocaine and coffee) is more expensive on account of the recent earthquake.
HOW TO MAKE A MILLION BUCKS: Shun palladium plated cocaine shakers and silver coffee pots. Stockpile little paper packets of pepper and wait for the upturn.
- 1 Which country would be hardest to invade?
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 5 Royal baby girl born: Duchess of Cambridge's second child will be a princess thanks to Queen
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior SEO Executive is requi...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Online customer Service Admi...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This global, industry leading, ...