Russia threatens to renege on De Beers diamond deal
Yevgeny Bychkov, head of the state committee on precious stones and metals, said yesterday that the sales restrictions imposed by De Beers on price and quantity no longer suited Russia. He indicated that the state wanted to be free to sell up to 20 per cent of its production on the open market in key diamond-polishing centres such as Israel, India, the United States and Belgium.
Under the terms of the five-year contract between De Beers and Alkmazy Rossii Sakha, the Russian diamond-producing corporation, the state is obliged to sell 95 per cent of its output through De Beers. The remaining 5 per cent may only be sold in Russia itself.
De Beers has a virtual monopoly in the sale of rough, or uncut, diamonds, handling more than 80 per cent of the world's production, setting prices and, in effect, production quotas.
Russian supplies account for up to a quarter of the world's total rough diamond sales, although recent sales have been depressed by an export tax. There are fears that if it were to abandon its deal with De Beers and to improve its antiquated mining operations it could flood the market, depressing prices.
But a De Beers spokesman sought to play down Mr Bychkov's comments. He said the existing contract, worth an estimated dollars 5bn, still had two years to run and that in any case the company had had 'no official request' for a renegotiation.
If Russia were to renege on the contract 'they'd have to sell them on their own and they would find it very difficult to get such a good price as at present', he said.
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
iJobs Money & Business
£43500 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: Night Shift Operatio...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000 + Car + Pension: SThree: SThree are a ...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: We consistently strive to be the...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 b...