Sears break-up under way with pounds 9m sale
Saturday 16 August 1997
Nine West's Shoe Studio Group, is paying pounds 9m for net assets of pounds 11m. The deal will protect 800 jobs in the 65 largest concessions which will be transferred to Nine West at the end of this month.
Discussions are continuing to sell the remaining 150 concessions. But if Sears cannot find a buyer it will close the rest at the end of January 1998 with the loss of 950 jobs.
Nine West is one of America's largest footwear retailers. It already owns fashion shoe group Pied a Terre in the UK.
The sale of the concessions business is the first disposal since company doctor David James moved into Sears' troubled British Shoe Corporation subsidiary in the spring. He is finalising the group's business plan to present to the Sears board in the autumn.
Though Sears says it is keeping its options open, City analysts expect formats like Shoe Express, Shoe City, Dolcis and Cable & Co to be sold.
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
iJobs Money & Business
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£50,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you a professionally qualified commercial ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Loren Hughes: Are you looking for a new opportunity that wi...
Circa £45,000-£50,000 + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ac...