SIB to seek changes at metal exchange
Thursday 15 August 1996
The SIB review began after it emerged in June that Japan's Sumitomo Corporation had run up losses of pounds 1.8bn (pounds 1.2bn) in unauthorised copper deals. Sumitomo, which is one of the world's largest copper dealers, blamed its chief trader, Yasuo Hamanaka, who was promptly sacked.
The news led to volatile copper trading on the LME, where the majority of trades take place. The SIB review covers metals and associated derivatives traded both on the LME and over the counter.
The SIB's investigation into Sumitomo and the LME was conducted in tandem with the Serious Fraud Office and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission of the US. Last week the SFO raided the English homes of two directors of Winchester Commodities, a metal trader.
Sumitomo expects that its own investigation will be completed within six months.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
£50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: DevOps Engineer (Systems Administration, L...
£60000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A prestigious leading professiona...