Soros warns turmoil could spread
Wednesday 16 September 1998
"The flight of capital has now spread to Brazil and if Brazil goes, Argentina will be endangered. There is general panic in Latin America," Mr Soros said in prepared testimony to the House Committee on Banking and Financial Services. Mr Soros warned legislators that the US economy could not remain isolated from global financial turmoil and urged Congress to approve $18bn in extra funding for the International Monetary Fund.
"So far our stock market has escaped relatively unscathed and our economy has actually benefited from the global crises, but make no mistake, unless Congress is willing to support the IMF, the disintegration of the global capitalist system will hurt our financial markets, and our economy as well, because we are at the centre of that system," he said.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
iJobs Money & Business
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...
£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisors are r...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree were established in 1986....
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...