St Patrick counts his blessings

Irish people living in the UK have financial reasons to celebrate, says Jane Suiter

ST PATRICK'S DAY today is a celebration of all things Irish. And when the Guinness haze wears off, the one million-plus Irish-born people living in mainland UK will still have cause for some celebration.

Irish people over here get a good deal in many financial areas: they benefit from lower taxes than in the Republic of Ireland and retain a number of choices over how to organise their finances both while here and if they return to Ireland.

Although Irish taxes have come down in recent years they are still far higher than in the UK - the higher rate of 48 per cent kicks in at around pounds 12,000 for single people.

A double taxation agreement between Ireland and the UK means that nobody has to pay taxes in both jurisdictions. Where you pay tax depends on the country of residence. The rules governing this are quite complex and if you are in any doubt you should consult a tax adviser or your local tax office. But in general, you are considered a tax resident of whichever country you inhabit for 183 days or more.

More people are living in Ireland and commuting to the UK for a week's work. If possible, it is sensible to try and claim UK residency in this situation to benefit from the lower tax rates. If you are not subject to UK tax you should reclaim tax deducted on interest on savings in the UK (ask the bank or building society or a tax office).

Irish people coming to the UK can benefit from immediately electing to be tax residents in the UK. If, for example, you have freelance income for work done previously in Ireland and this is paid after you have elected to be UK tax-resident, it is subject to the UK's lower tax rates.

In the past many Irish people emigrated to the UK because of the better social security payments. However, in recent years this comparison has changed. An unemployed person in Ireland now receives pounds 60.40 a week while only pounds 46.45 is payable in the UK. Irish people in the UK can still claim Irish unemployment benefit if they do not work when they first come to the UK. And when they return to Ireland they qualify for Irish benefit if they do one week's work there.

Property can be more of a problem. If you are returning to Ireland and you have a property to sell in the UK you should do so before you become a tax resident of Ireland, otherwise you may be liable for capital gains tax. It is straightforward - and legal - to elect to remain non-resident for tax purposes when you initially return to Ireland.

Fixed-rate mortgages can be a headache for anyone thinking of moving. Banks and building societies charge a penalty if a fixed-rate loan is redeemed within a certain period. This is normally waived if you take out another loan when you move. However, even with Bank of Ireland Home Mortgages - one of the few Irish lenders to sell home loans in the UK - this does not apply if you move country.

State pensions can be built up with and claimed from both countries. Pensions are related to contributions and are not reduced by dint of what the other country pays you. In addition, a spokesman for the Irish Department of Social Welfare says that it will apply to the UK DSS for any British pension owed if the pensioner is not eligible for the full Irish pension, thus helping out on the paperwork. However, many people are entitled to the full Irish pension as well as a small British one. "In that case you must apply yourself," the spokesman says.

However, anyone thinking of taking out a personal pension in the UK - generally cheaper than their Irish equivalents - and who may return to Ireland could face problems. John Housden, life and pensions director at Hill Samuel Life, says he has had many people kicking up "merry hell" when they have realised they can no longer contribute to their UK personal pension.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
Arts and Entertainment
Joe Cocker performing on the Stravinski hall stage during the Montreux Jazz Festival, in Montreux, Switzerland in 2002
musicHe 'turned my song into an anthem', says former Beatle
Clarke Carlisle
footballStoke City vs Chelsea match report
Arts and Entertainment
theatreThe US stars who've taken to UK panto, from Hasselhoff to Hall
ebooksA year of political gossip, levity and intrigue from the sharpest pen in Westminster
Life and Style
Approaching sale shopping in a smart way means that you’ll get the most out of your money
life + styleSales shopping tips and tricks from the experts
newsIt was due to be auctioned off for charity
Coca-Cola has become one of the largest companies in the world to push staff towards switching off their voicemails, in a move intended to streamline operations and boost productivity
peopleCoca-Cola staff urged to switch it off to boost productivity
Sir David Attenborough
environment... as well as a plant and a spider
'That's the legal bit done. Now on to the ceremony!'
voicesThe fight for marriage equality isn't over yet, says Siobhan Fenton
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

The Jenrick Group: Night Shift Operations Manager

£43500 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: Night Shift Operatio...

SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant - LONDON

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000 + Car + Pension: SThree: SThree are a ...

SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: We consistently strive to be the...

SThree: Graduate Recruitment Consultant

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 b...

Day In a Page

Surrounded by high-rise flats is a little house filled with Lebanon’s history - clocks, rifles, frogmen’s uniforms and colonial helmets

Clocks, rifles, swords, frogmen’s uniforms

Surrounded by high-rise flats is a little house filled with Lebanon’s history
Return to Gaza: Four months on, the wounds left by Israel's bombardment have not yet healed

Four months after the bombardment, Gaza’s wounds are yet to heal

Kim Sengupta is reunited with a man whose plight mirrors the suffering of the Palestinian people
Gastric surgery: Is it really the answer to the UK's obesity epidemic?

Is gastric surgery really the answer to the UK's obesity epidemic?

Critics argue that it’s crazy to operate on healthy people just to stop them eating
Homeless Veterans appeal: Christmas charity auction Part 2 - now LIVE

Homeless Veterans appeal: Christmas charity auction

Bid on original art, or trips of a lifetime to Africa or the 'Corrie' set, and help Homeless Veterans
Pantomime rings the changes to welcome autistic theatre-goers

Autism-friendly theatre

Pantomime leads the pack in quest to welcome all
The week Hollywood got scared and had to grow up a bit

The week Hollywood got scared and had to grow up a bit

Sony suffered a chorus of disapproval after it withdrew 'The Interview', but it's not too late for it to take a stand, says Joan Smith
From Widow Twankey to Mother Goose, how do the men who play panto dames get themselves ready for the performance of a lifetime?

Panto dames: before and after

From Widow Twankey to Mother Goose, how do the men who play panto dames get themselves ready for the performance of a lifetime?
Thirties murder mystery novel is surprise runaway Christmas hit

Thirties murder mystery novel is surprise runaway Christmas hit

Booksellers say readers are turning away from dark modern thrillers and back to the golden age of crime writing
Anne-Marie Huby: 'Charities deserve the best,' says founder of JustGiving

Anne-Marie Huby: 'Charities deserve the best'

Ten million of us have used the JustGiving website to donate to good causes. Its co-founder says that being dynamic is as important as being kind
The botanist who hunts for giant trees at Kew Gardens

The man who hunts giants

A Kew Gardens botanist has found 25 new large tree species - and he's sure there are more out there
The 12 ways of Christmas: Spare a thought for those who will be working to keep others safe during the festive season

The 12 ways of Christmas

We speak to a dozen people who will be working to keep others safe, happy and healthy over the holidays
Birdwatching men have a lot in common with their feathered friends, new study shows

The male exhibits strange behaviour

A new study shows that birdwatching men have a lot in common with their feathered friends...
Diaries of Evelyn Waugh, Virginia Woolf and Noël Coward reveal how they coped with the December blues

Famous diaries: Christmas week in history

Noël Coward parties into the night, Alan Clark bemoans the cost of servants, Evelyn Waugh ponders his drinking…
From noble to narky, the fall of the open letter

From noble to narky, the fall of the open letter

The great tradition of St Paul and Zola reached its nadir with a hungry worker's rant to Russell Brand, says DJ Taylor
A Christmas ghost story by Alison Moore: A prodigal daughter has a breakthrough

A Christmas ghost story by Alison Moore

The story was published earlier this month in 'Poor Souls' Light: Seven Curious Tales'