Supermarkets set for MMC probe
Friday 26 March 1999
THE OFFICE of Fair Trading is understood to have written to the four UK supermarket giants - Asda, Safeway, Tesco and J Sainsbury - saying that they face a wide-ranging investigation by the Monopolies and Mergers Commission. The OFT is to publish the results of its nine-month inquiry into supermarket pricing around the end of this month. It is thought the MMC's inquiry will include second-tier supermarket operators.
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.