Tax planning: Relax and make allowances for yourself

Take all that you're entitled to from the Inland Revenue, says David Prosser

The Inland Revenue is not exactly renowned for its generosity. Even so, a system of tax allowances does enable people to shelter some, or even all, of their income from tax. There are also a number of ways to reduce the amounts that you might have to pay in capital gains tax (CGT) and inheritance tax (IHT).

Tax allowances

Everyone is entitled to a personal tax allowance. This is the part of your income the Inland Revenue does not consider when it is working out how much tax you pay.

Your personal allowance is the part of your income that is totally tax free. It is pounds 4,195 in 1998-99. Make sure you are claiming this allowance, particularly if you are covered by the self-assessment tax system. You cannot transfer your personal allowance to anyone else if you do not use it. However, husband and wives can transfer investments to each other, tax free. If one partner is not a taxpayer, he or she should hold any investments that generate income as the personal allowance means there may well be no tax to pay.

Retired people are entitled to an age-related tax allowance. This is basically a souped-up personal allowance. A single person aged 65 or over gets a personal allowance of pounds 5,220 this year or pounds 5,400 if they are over the age of 75.

Married couples who live together can claim an allowance giving tax relief at 15 per cent on pounds 1,900. This is a maximum tax saving of pounds 285. It is not much and there are rumours that it may disappear altogether in the Budget next month.

Unless you tell it otherwise, the tax office will give this allowance to the husband but it can be shared equally between partners, or the wife can take it all.

Married couples also get bigger allowances when they reach the ages of 65 and 75, as long as the claiming partner's income is less than pounds 15,600.

A widow can claim a small additional tax allowance in the tax year her husband dies and in the following tax year. This is worth up to pounds 285 in saved tax.

Capital gains tax

Capital gains tax is payable on profits you make when disposing of investments or some other assets, such as a second home. But there are several ways to reduce the amount of CGT you pay. First, everyone is allowed to make a certain amount of capital gains each year tax free. In 1998-99 this is pounds 6,800.

Also, note that all capital gains on investments held within a personal equity plan (PEP) or, after 5 April, an individual savings account (ISA), are totally tax free.

If you have used up your CGT, PEP and Tessa allowances and have additional capital gains, don't despair. You are allowed to deduct any capital losses you have made this year from your gains before declaring them to the tax office.

You may even deduct losses made in the previous five tax years if you did not use these to reduce your taxable gains at the time.

You can also reduce the size of your taxable gains by deducting the amount of the gain that was due to inflation between the time you bought it and April 1998.

After April 1998, you qualify for taper relief. This means that the longer you hold an investment the less tax you pay. Your local tax office (in the phone book under Inland Revenue) will explain how to apply.

Finally, investments in venture capital trusts and the enterprise investment schemes enable you to defer paying any capital gains tax, and the proceeds of such investments are CGT free. These are risky investments and you should not invest purely to save tax.

Inheritance tax

Inheritance tax is payable on your estate if it is worth more than the IHT allowance when you die. This is pounds 223,000 and is likely to increase year by year in line with inflation. This sounds a lot but the value of your home counts towards the value of your estate. If you have elderly parents you could be liable to pay tax at 40 per cent on the value of their estate over pounds 223,000.

The best way to limit future IHT liabilities is to give some assets away before you die, reducing the value of your estate. There are strict rules about how you do this but each of us can make as many gifts worth less than pounds 250 as we like in one tax year, although they must all be to different people. You can make other gifts worth up to pounds 3,000 each year.

You are also allowed to make "potentially exempt transfers". These are gifts not covered by the pounds 250 and pounds 3,000 limits. If you live for seven years after making these gifts, no tax is payable. There is speculation this rule may be abolished in the Budget.

Inheritance tax planning can get complicated and it is often worth getting professional advice. To preclude complications, you should certainly make sure that your will is always up to date.

David Prosser is personal finance editor of `Investors Chronicle'.

Life and Style
food + drinkFrom Mediterranean Tomato Tart to Raw Caramel Peanut Pie
Boys to men: there’s nothing wrong with traditional ‘manly’ things, until masculinity is used to exclude people
indybest13 best grooming essentials
Arts and Entertainment
Armstrong, left, and Bain's writing credits include Peep Show, Fresh Meat, and The Old Guys
TVThe pair have presented their view of 21st-century foibles in shows such as Peep Show and Fresh Meat
ebooksAn unforgettable anthology of contemporary reportage
Life and Style
healthMovember isn't about a moustache trend, it saves lives
Arts and Entertainment
Hand out press photograph/film still from the movie Mad Max Fury Road (Downloaded from the Warner Bro's media site/Jasin Boland/© 2014 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.)
films'You have to try everything and it’s all a process of elimination, but ultimately you find your path'
Arts and Entertainment
Keys to success: Andrew and Julian Lloyd Webber
arts + entsMrs Bach had too many kids to write the great man's music, says Julian Lloyd Webber
Arts and Entertainment
Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter films

New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site on Friday

Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

The benefits of Recruitment at SThree...

£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: SThree, International Recruitme...

Trainee Recruitment Consultants

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: We consistently strive to be the...

Finance Assistant - Part time - 9 month FTC

£20000 - £23250 Per Annum pro rata: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pro rata ...

Marketing Manager

£40 - 48k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Manager to join...

Day In a Page

Bryan Adams' heartstopping images of wounded British soldiers to go on show at Somerset House

Bryan Adams' images of wounded soldiers

Taken over the course of four years, Adams' portraits are an astonishing document of the aftermath of war
The drugs revolution starts now as MPs agree its high time for change

The drugs revolution starts now as MPs agree its high time for change

Commons debate highlights growing cross-party consensus on softening UK drugs legislation, unchanged for 43 years
The camera is turned on tabloid editors in Richard Peppiatt's 'One Rogue Reporter'

Gotcha! The camera is turned on tabloid editors

Hugh Grant says Richard Peppiatt's 'One Rogue Reporter' documentary will highlight issues raised by Leveson
Fall of the Berlin Wall: It was thanks to Mikhail Gorbachev that this symbol of division fell

Fall of the Berlin Wall

It was thanks to Gorbachev that this symbol of division fell
Halloween 2014: What makes Ouija boards, demon dolls, and evil clowns so frightening?

What makes ouija boards and demon dolls scary?

Ouija boards, demon dolls, evil children and clowns are all classic tropes of horror, and this year’s Halloween releases feature them all. What makes them so frightening, decade after decade?
A safari in modern Britain: Rose Rouse reveals how her four-year tour of Harlesden taught her as much about the UK as it did about NW10

Rose Rouse's safari in modern Britain

Rouse decided to walk and talk with as many different people as possible in her neighbourhood of Harlesden and her experiences have been published in a new book
Welcome to my world of no smell and odd tastes: How a bike accident left one woman living with unwanted food mash-ups

'My world of no smell and odd tastes'

A head injury from a bicycle accident had the surprising effect of robbing Nell Frizzell of two of her senses

Matt Parker is proud of his square roots

The "stand-up mathematician" is using comedy nights to preach maths to big audiences
Paul Scholes column: Beating Manchester City is vital part of life at Manchester United. This is first major test for Luke Shaw, Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao – it’s not a game to lose

Paul Scholes column

Beating City is vital part of life at United. This is first major test for Shaw, Di Maria and Falcao – it’s not a game to lose
Frank Warren: Call me an old git, but I just can't see that there's a place for women’s boxing

Frank Warren column

Call me an old git, but I just can't see that there's a place for women’s boxing
Adrian Heath interview: Former Everton striker prepares his Orlando City side for the MLS - and having Kaka in the dressing room

Adrian Heath's American dream...

Former Everton striker prepares his Orlando City side for the MLS - and having Kaka in the dressing room
Simon Hart: Manchester City will rise again but they need to change their attitude

Manchester City will rise again but they need to change their attitude

Manuel Pellegrini’s side are too good to fail and derby allows them to start again, says Simon Hart
Isis in Syria: A general reveals the lack of communication with the US - and his country's awkward relationship with their allies-by-default

A Syrian general speaks

A senior officer of Bashar al-Assad’s regime talks to Robert Fisk about his army’s brutal struggle with Isis, in a dirty war whose challenges include widespread atrocities