The biggest drugs merger would create a pounds 17bn mega-group
Sunday 25 January 1998
SmithKline made pre-tax profits of pounds 1.5b in 1996 on sales of pounds 7.9bn. Its shares trade on a historic price/earnings ratio of 38.6: the industry average is 24. AHP had pounds 8.6bn sales in 1996, and pre-tax profits of pounds 1.6bn. Its shares' historic PE is nearly 30.
In prescription drugs, AHP-SmithKline would leapfrog Glaxo Wellcome to first place in the $222bn market. SmithKline is best known for anti-ulcerant Tagament, antibiotic Augmentin, and antidepressant Seroxat and produces many vaccines. AHP sells Premarin, the biggest-selling antidote for osteoporosis in post-menopausal women, the anxiety drug Effexor, the antibiotic Minocin and other major drugs.
SmithKline generates about 30 per cent of its sales in over-the-counter remedies such as Tums antacids, Aquafresh dental products and Panadol analgesics. AHP sells the analgesic Advil and oral contraceptives.
Copyright: IOS & Bloomberg
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
iJobs Money & Business
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...
£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...