The Investment Column: Standard Chartered
Thursday 05 August 1999
It reported a 35 per cent fall in first half profits to pounds 271m yesterday. But Standard is bullish. Chief executive Rana Talwar claims the bank has hit the trough and recovery is around the corner. The optimism is based on forecast growth rates for South East Asian countries of up to 3 per cent this year, compared to an 8 per cent fall in 1998. Mr Talwar also promises that the non-Swiss trade finance arm of UBS, acquired earlier in the year, will make a positive contribution to profits by the end of the year.
The recent acquisitions of Bank Bali and the planned takeover of Thailand's Nakornthorn Bank are also expected to speed the recovery. The market clearly believes in Mr Talwar. Standard's shares, at 941p, are only just off their recent high of 1135p and hovering at their levels just prior to the Asia crisis. But there is no reason to suppose the growth rates of earlier this decade will re-emerge. Betting on Asian recovery is risky and at these levels the shares are best avoided.
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: Sourcing Manager - Banking - London - Up to £500p...
To be discussed at interview.: Queen Elizabeth's School: An experienced and ef...
£294.05 - £330.92 per day + 150 per day travel and accommodation: Orgtel: A le...