The late ticker: Bank counters Labour
Sunday 23 February 1997
Howard Davies, the Bank's deputy governor, said in a speech in the US yesterday that it made sense for supervision to be carried out by the same body that had responsibility for maintaining the stability of the financial system.
Mr Davies called for a Holy Trinity approach to regulation which would see three separate bodies with responsibility for banks, insurance and financial services.
Labour has promised a sweeping review of financial regulation if it wins the election. It has considered a separate banking commission but is now understood to be leaning more towards leaving the Bank's current role broadly intact.
Mr Davies also argued for the consolidated regulation of international financial institutions and said he was optimistic that legislation would soon be enacted to codify their regulation.
- 1 Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Nineteen-year-old student left gifts for parents before taking her own life
- 4 Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
- 5 Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
David Cameron says anyone criticising Eric Pickles' letter to Muslims 'really has a problem'
iJobs Money & Business
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Tax Assistant is required to join a leading ...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£45000 - £47000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: Java Developer / ...
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager - Marke...