Tobacco lights up Philip Morris results
Wednesday 20 April 1994
The company earned almost as much during the first three months of the year as it did a year ago, before its controversial decision to slash the price of its best-selling brand, Marlboro.
Philip Morris made dollars 1.17bn (pounds 790m), or about dollars 1.34 a share, compared with dollars 1.2bn, or dollars 1.38 a share, during the first quarter of 1993.
The market had been expecting a profit of about dollars 1.25, and pushed Philip Morris shares up 7 8 to 511 8 . The group's overall turnover was dollars 15.5bn against dollars 15.2bn the year before.
Domestic tobacco earnings remain 25 per cent below a year ago, but margins continue to improve as shipments of Marlboro and its other premium brands increase.
Philip Morris has sold 32 per cent more Marlboros this year than it did at the beginning of 1993, pushing its share of the US market up more than five points to 27 per cent.
Sales at its foods divisions were roughly flat, with North American revenues down slightly to dollars 5.2bn because of the sale of its frozen desserts and frozen vegetables businesses.
International sales were up 2.7 per cent at dollars 2.2bn.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...
£400 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : BUSINESS ANALYST- OPERATIONS- PRIVATE B...