Upmarket taste in the works canteen
Wednesday 20 May 1998
Compass has introduced a new food service, Pentagon, to cater for this change in tastes. More salads and snack items are available, as well as the "deep pan", where customers can watch their food being prepared. The group is also planning to introduce more brands such as Harry Ramsden's fish and chips, as well as some of its own concepts such as Upper Crust baguettes. "We want to create a new breed of staff restaurant. Our research has shown us this is what people want," said Roger Matthews, the chief executive of Compass.
Compass indicated yesterday that it would fight for its independence, despite intense speculation that the group may receive a bid approach. Francis Mackay, Compass's chief executive, said: "I do not see how anybody can afford to pay for the future growth we expect to generate. We don't need anybody else to help us."
Investment Column, this page
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
iJobs Money & Business
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...