View from City Road: Small consolation for the DTI
Wednesday 22 June 1994
The irony is that had he co-operated, as everyone else in the Guinness affair did, the SFO might have had more chance of securing a custodial sentence on the original charges. DTI Companies Act investigations remove a suspect's right of silence and his protection against self-incrimination.
Without 'confessions' secured by inspectors, Ernest Saunders, Gerald Ronson, Tony Parnes and Jack Lyons might have got off. Ward, beyond the DTI's reach in the US, realised this and refused contact. It is some consolation to the authorities that they managed to hit target on his silence, even if he is not around to serve time.
It seems doubtful he will return to pursue his High Court action against Guinness, which presumably was never any more than a bad joke in any case. Having so brazenly infringed our laws and regulations, it will be no bad thing if Mr Ward never sets foot here again.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...