Watchdog angers de-mutualisers
The council, which oversees the work of Brian Murphy, the Ombudsman, claimed: "Clearly, the decision to convert is a commercial matter for individual building societies.
"But [we] believe that the continual contraction in the number of societies is a matter of regret and a development that is unlikely to benefit consumers."
Its view, argued in the Ombudsman's annual report yesterday, was described as "disgraceful" by Halifax Building Society, which is preparing its pounds 10bn flotation next year.
"It is outrageous that the council has seen fit to comment in this way on something which has nothing whatsoever to do with the Ombudsman's scheme," said Gary Marsh, a senior manager at the Halifax. "Their assertion is made without any evidence."
The Halifax's bitter defence of its flotation plans overshadowed Mr Murphy's annual report, which showed that the caseload of complaints dealt by his office rose by 93 per cent last year, to 2,081, out of more than 7,000 who contacted the Ombudsman. Almost 1,000 initial complaints were linked to the takeover of Cheltenham & Gloucester by Lloyds Bank.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 3 Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Money & Business
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
Up to £80,000 PA Plus Benefits: Legal & General: An exciting opportunity for a...
£20 - £22 per hour: Orgtel: Documentation Assistant - London - Banking - £20 -...
£550 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Test Manager, London, Investment Banking, £550-65...