Wetherspoon raises pounds 22m
Thursday 10 March 1994
Wetherspoon's pub estate has grown from 44 when it floated on the stock market in October 1992 to 77 today.
It has become renowned for converting large disused sites such as banks into pubs, and for regularly selling at least one beer at less than pounds 1 a pint.
Plans are in place to convert another 14 sites into pubs. Ten are expected to be trading by the end of the financial year to July.
Fund-raising is via an underwritten one-for-four rights issue at 315p per share. Interim results were also announced, showing pre-tax profits up from pounds 1.5m to pounds 2.6m.
Sales rose from pounds 13.2m to pounds 20.6m. Wetherspoon is selling about 80,000 barrels, or 23 million pints of beer a year.
The dividend for the six months to end-January is being lifted 22 per cent to 2.2p. Wetherspoon's shares, floated at 160p, rose 7p to 390p on the announcement.
Gearing before the rights of 68 per cent will fall to 19 per cent of enlarged shareholders' funds of pounds 70m. About pounds 5m of short-term debt will be repaid by the cash call.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...