Thursday 06 August 1998
The company sold the leased pubs, part of its Pub Partnerships division, to focus on those operating under its Whitbread Inns division, which are newer and offer better facilities, said spokesman David Reed.
Mr Reed said the restaurant and hotel company planned to hold on to the remaining 1,700 pubs operating under Pub Partnerships. Whitbread makes money from renting the pubs and on the beer sold. The company owns and manages another 1,700 pubs within Whitbread Inns.
The company said the price paid for the pubs was ahead of their book value, but did not specify what that was. Whitbread shares fell 12p to 860p as the benchmark FTSE 100 index fell 1.8 per cent.
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
iJobs Money & Business
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...