YOUR MONEY: If your child is wild, put the money on hold

Rebel without a cause? Then make him a rebel with a trust fund.

Almost six years after becoming involved with an Islamic sect, James Ogilvie-Grant, Viscount Reidhaven, went public about his battle to evade its clutches. Fearing the Naqshbandi Sufi sect's increasing influence on his son, his father, the 13th Earl of Seafield, arranged to put his son's share in a pounds 25m inheritance into trust. The Earl's son is now seeking to convince the trustees that he has broken the sect's hold over him.

Be it sects, drugs or rock'n'roll, if you believe your progeny cannot cope with running their own affairs, establishing a trust may be the answer.

Trusts are a common and sometimes tax-efficient way for parents with capital to make arrangements for children they believe cannot look after themselves. They guarantee that funds are available while ensuring someone else controls the money, now or after the settlor, the giver, dies.

A discretionary trust, such as the viscount's, gives trustees total discretion over how they manage the assets. They can hand back responsibility for the estate to the beneficiary if they see fit. If the beneficiary is hooked on heroin, however, pumping large amounts of cash into his or her bank account is not going to help anyone. In which case trustees must reconsider how they use the money.

Moira Elms, the personal finance planning partner of Coopers & Lybrand, says conspicuously wealthy heirs or heiresses often have their money put into trust to protect them from gold-diggers.

If the money is held in a discretionary trust the beneficiary has no absolute entitlement to capital or income, so the money cannot be assigned to the former spouse on divorce.

Moreover, Ms Elms says if an individual receives money from a trust fund there is little visible evidence to outsiders of the existence of large amounts of money because the income can be a tiny proportion of the capital.

Trusts may also be used to keep aside someone's inheritance until they have come of age, or they have made their own way in life. Funds could be withheld until the beneficiary is 30, when he or she has children to educate.

Geoffrey Shindler, chairman of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (Step) and partner at Halliwell Landau, a firm of Manchester solicitors, says trusts can be used to stop a widow or widower who has remarried leaving everything to the second husband and cutting out the deceased's children.

In many cases husbands form trusts to stop their widows from bequeathing the estate to children from the wife's first marriage, passing over the deceased's own brood.

Often in these circumstances, the trust deed gives the widow a lifetime interest in the income from the capital left in the estate, and the capital goes to the deceased's children after , too, dies.

If the income is not enough for her to live on, the trustees must make a decision whether to eat into the capital earmarked for the husband's children.

Mr Shindler says: "There is a risk trustees can be more concerned about the wife marrying the milkman than about her starving to death." If trustees err too much on the side of the widow, however, they may be sued by the children. Often, the trustees will look to the letter of wishes for guidance. This is the expression of intent from the settlor that often accompanies the trust deed.

Discretionary trusts are also used as a mechanism to make provision for mentally handicapped people after their parents die. Trustees become responsible for the person's whole welfare, rather than just the financial side.

A trust relieves the beneficiary of the task of investment. It also gives the trustees power to make payments to third parties, such as carers, and to purchase items. Money need not be paid directly to the adult concerned if inappropriate.

Trustees must be careful to provide in ways that do not affect entitlement to state benefits. Regular payments for specific purposes are treated as capital and ignored by the benefits agency. Regular payments made to a claimant for unspecified purposes covered by income support are treated as income and reduce the claimant's benefits.

Mencap publishes a free booklet entitled Leaving Money to People with Learning Disabilities. Anthony Quinn & Co, a firm of solicitors, also offer a free information booklet.

To set up a trust you should find a lawyer, accountant or bank. Step can give you names of a trust and estate practitioner in your area. It may cost hundreds or it may cost thousands of pounds to establish and run a trust, depending on the complexity of the case. Mr Shindler says it is probably not worth setting up a trust for much under pounds 100,000 because the beneficiary does not get much of an income below this level. Costs also eat into the capital.

q Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (Step): 0171 408 1080; Anthony Quinn & Co: 0171 242 3332; Mencap: 0171 454 0454.

q Dido Sandler writes for 'Financial Adviser', a specialist magazine.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
Arts and Entertainment
Brendan O'Carroll as Agnes Brown in the 2014 Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas special
tvCould Mrs Brown's Boys have taken lead for second year?
Members and supporters of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) community walk with a rainbow flag during a rally in July
footballLive! Chelsea vs West Ham kicked off 10 Boxing Day matches, with Arsenal vs QPR closing the action
peopleIt seems you can't silence Katie Hopkins, even on Christmas Day...
ebooksA year of political gossip, levity and intrigue from the sharpest pen in Westminster
Arts and Entertainment
Jack O'Connell stars as Louis Zamperini in Angelina Jolie's Unbroken
film review... even if Jack O'Connell is excellent
Arts and Entertainment
Madonna is not in Twitter's good books after describing her album leak as 'artistic rape and terrorism'
music14 more 'Rebel Heart' tracks leaked including Pharrell Williams collaboration
Arts and Entertainment
Wolf (Nathan McMullen), Ian (Dan Starky), The Doctor (Peter Capaldi), Clara (Jenna Coleman), Santa Claus (Nick Frost) in the Doctor Who Christmas Special (BBC/Photographer: David Venni)
tvOur review of the Doctor Who Christmas Special
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Selby Jennings: Oil Operations

Highly Competitive: Selby Jennings: Our client, a leading European Oil trading...

The Jenrick Group: Night Shift Operations Manager

£43500 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: Night Shift Operatio...

SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant - LONDON

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000 + Car + Pension: SThree: SThree are a ...

SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: We consistently strive to be the...

Day In a Page

A Christmas without hope: Fears grow in Gaza that the conflict with Israel will soon reignite

Christmas without hope

Gaza fears grow that conflict with Israel will soon reignite
After 150 years, you can finally visit the grisliest museum in the country

The 'Black Museum'

After 150 years, you can finally visit Britain's grisliest museum
No ho-ho-hos with Nick Frost's badass Santa

No ho-ho-hos with Nick Frost's badass Santa

Doctor Who Christmas Special TV review
Chilly Christmas: Swimmers take festive dip for charity

Chilly Christmas

Swimmers dive into freezing British waters for charity
Veterans' hostel 'overwhelmed by kindness' for festive dinner

Homeless Veterans appeal

In 2010, Sgt Gary Jamieson stepped on an IED in Afghanistan and lost his legs and an arm. He reveals what, and who, helped him to make a remarkable recovery
Isis in Iraq: Yazidi girls killing themselves to escape rape and imprisonment by militants

'Jilan killed herself in the bathroom. She cut her wrists and hanged herself'

Yazidi girls killing themselves to escape rape and imprisonment
Ed Balls interview: 'If I think about the deficit when I'm playing the piano, it all goes wrong'

Ed Balls interview

'If I think about the deficit when I'm playing the piano, it all goes wrong'
He's behind you, dude!

US stars in UK panto

From David Hasselhoff to Jerry Hall
Grace Dent's Christmas Quiz: What are you – a festive curmudgeon or top of the tree?

Grace Dent's Christmas Quiz

What are you – a festive curmudgeon or top of the tree?
Nasa planning to build cloud cities in airships above Venus

Nasa planning to build cloud cities in airships above Venus

Planet’s surface is inhospitable to humans but 30 miles above it is almost perfect
Surrounded by high-rise flats is a little house filled with Lebanon’s history - clocks, rifles, frogmen’s uniforms and colonial helmets

Clocks, rifles, swords, frogmen’s uniforms

Surrounded by high-rise flats is a little house filled with Lebanon’s history
Return to Gaza: Four months on, the wounds left by Israel's bombardment have not yet healed

Four months after the bombardment, Gaza’s wounds are yet to heal

Kim Sengupta is reunited with a man whose plight mirrors the suffering of the Palestinian people
Gastric surgery: Is it really the answer to the UK's obesity epidemic?

Is gastric surgery really the answer to the UK's obesity epidemic?

Critics argue that it’s crazy to operate on healthy people just to stop them eating
Homeless Veterans appeal: Christmas charity auction Part 2 - now LIVE

Homeless Veterans appeal: Christmas charity auction

Bid on original art, or trips of a lifetime to Africa or the 'Corrie' set, and help Homeless Veterans
Pantomime rings the changes to welcome autistic theatre-goers

Autism-friendly theatre

Pantomime leads the pack in quest to welcome all