Car of the century
Tuesday 09 September 1997
2. Started life as a doodle on a cigarette packet by the original designer, Sir Alec Issigonis.
3. First British car to win the Rally
Championship in 1965.
4. Since production began in 1959, 5.3m have been built.
5. James Weatherley was jailed for 5 years for stealing red Minis.
6. Celebrity owners of minis included King Hussein of Jordan, all The Beatles, Princess Michael, Steve McQueen and Cliff Richard.
7. Peter Sellers had a Mini with canework body panels
8. The car was originally launched under two names: Austin Seven and the Mini Minor.
9. Starred with Michael Caine in The Italian Job.
10. Voted the Car of the Century in 1996 by Autocar
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has ari...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An On-line Sales & Customer Ser...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the largest hospitality companies...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As a result of significant cont...