Cash machine spills toxic fumes

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Twelve bank staff were treated in hospital yesterday after toxic fumes spilled from a cash machine. A customer was using the machine inside a Halifax branch in Victoria, central London when a small electrical fire started. The customer was given first aid and staff who went to help got fumes in their eyes and throat.

The area was cordoned off while firefighters tried to find out what chemical was coming from the machine.

Casualties were taken to hospital but were not badly hurt and were expected to go home after a check-up.

A Halifax spokesman said the customer went back to work after treatment in the branch.