Channel 4 wins Monica exclusive
Friday 04 December 1998
The pounds 400,000 deal was signed for the original asking price after "editorial" negotiations. Channel 4 said that the interviewer, Jon Snow, will be "both tough and fair" with Miss Lewinsky, who has agreed to speak about "her life and the events of the last year, including her relationship with Bill Clinton".
The deal means that the channel can cash in on worldwide rights for the exclusive, as the planned American network television interview is restricted to screenings in the United States and Canada. "This is a real coup for Channel 4," David Lloyd, head of news, current affairs and business, said.
Other British broadcasters have reportedly been trying to secure an interview, but the negotiations were not over money, Channel 4 said: "The problems have been about what she can and cannot say. We have been talking to her lawyers and are now happy we are going to have an interview with some editorial value."
The interview will be conducted in the US and will be transmitted, probably in February, within hours of her American interview, which is believed to be with Barbara Walters.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...