City Freeman exercises sheep and his rights
Friday 20 August 1999
Jef Smith herded Clover and Little Man across the River Thames, despite opposition from the City Corporation and police. City of London officers had threatened to ban Mr Smith's eccentric drive, saying it posed a traffic hazard. But yesterday they relented and stationed a solitary officer to oversee the 60-year-old former social services director, in rustic attire and carrying a rake, and his two sheep ambling across the bridge, built in 1894.
Tourists could have been forgiven in thinking they were witnessing a London heritage trail re-enactment but Mr Smith was driving the sheep to make the point that older people must continue to exercise their rights.
A Corporation spokeswoman said: "A modern Freeman of the City of London does not have the right to drive sheep across the bridge. There is a similar legend about grazing sheep on Tower Hill, which is also without real evidence or authority."
Mr Smith, a Freeman since 1975, said: "I want to draw attention to rights which have been eroded. Anyway, it's a nice day out for the sheep and I think they've enjoyed it."
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...