Wednesday 22 February 2012
On January 7 we published a story, headlined on the print edition's front page, suggesting Wayne Rooney could be sold in the January transfer window because of a damaged working relationship between him and Sir Alex Ferguson ("Ferguson willing to sell Rooney during transfer window", by James Lawton). We said there was a strong feeling around Manchester United that Sir Alex believed he had "lost control of Rooney". We now accept that the working relationship between player and manager is strong and are happy to reiterate the statement, issued jointly by Rooney and Manchester United on the night of publication (and included in our story in later editions), that player and manager look forward to working together for seasons to come. We also accept that no moves were made to sell Wayne Rooney during the January transfer window.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...