Crying statue's woe
Sunday 09 April 1995
With Easter fast approaching, local firms are building car parks, toilets and facilities for the disabled in anticipation of a flood of pilgrims. They are doing the work for free, clearly in the expectation of rewards in the future.
The only trouble is, the pilgrims won't be able to see the statue itself. The bishop of Civitavecchia, Girolamo Grillo, had planned to unveil the Madonna in time for a special parade on Good Friday. But the local magistrature has intervened, ordering the statue to be kept under a kind of house arrest while tests are carried out to check whether it is a fraud.
Yesterday, the people of Civitavecchia were outraged. Old ladies in the market deplored the judiciary's lack of faith, while Bishop Grillo claimed only the church had authority to rule on a matter of worship. The Vatican has remained silent.
Italy has been gripped by the Civitavecchia statue and her many imitators - around a dozen Madonnas elsewhere have been reported to be weeping blood and other bodily fluids. The Civitavecchia statue came originally from Medjugorje, the Bosnian town where the Madonna was allegedly sighted in the early 1980s.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.