Delia Smith helps egg farmer win case
Saturday 28 November 1998
Martin Pitt was accused by the Ministry of Agriculture of breaking EU rules by labelling eggs laid on his farm near Marlborough, Wiltshire, with the period they were laid instead of their use-by dates.
But armed with a copy of Delia Smith's How to Cook, he managed to persuade magistrates he was not guilty.
After unscrambling the complex rules surrounding the case, magistrates dismissed the charges.
Mr Pitt said: "When you listen to Delia Smith or read her books she stresses that it's not the sell-by date that's important. She says that eggs have to be a certain age for certain uses, for example an egg which is to be soft boiled needs to be five days old.
"How can shoppers know how old their eggs are unless the period in which they are laid is put on the box - and that is what I have been doing."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Chemical and radiation experts investigate after death of man found inside tent in field
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education is wo...
£700 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Data Warehouse Programme Manager (SQL, ...
£700 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Technical Programme Manager, (Static Da...
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...