Doctor loses C4 libel case
Thursday 15 May 1997
Channel 4 has won a pounds 2m libel battle with a Harley Street doctor who the channel claimed rigged tests and misdiagnosed a terminally-ill Aids patient. Dr Peter Nixon halted his case against the channel's 1994 programme, Preying On Hope, after five weeks at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.
Dr Nixon has gained a high profile for his theory that a list of diseases including Aids, Gulf War syndrome, ME and pre-menstrual tension are attributable to hyperventilation.
However Channel 4 found that Dr Nixon rigged his patients' breathing tests by asking them to "breathe as if they were angry". He told Ian Hughes, an Aids patient who died last summer, that his fatigue was caused by over- breathing. Dr Nixon, who had a turnover of over pounds 100,000 a year, recommends a course of Valium or diazepam and "two weeks of sleeping" as a cure for hyperventilation. Paul McCann
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...