Doctor summonsed over patient's death

Click to follow
The Independent Online
A DOCTOR has been summonsed to answer a murder charge in connection with the death of a patient. Dr Dave Moor, who was involved in controversy after remarks he made about the care of terminally ill patients, will appear before magistrates on 30 July.

The former GP from Newcastle upon Tyne, was arrested last year after one of his patients, who was suffering from cancer, died.

Police launched an inquiry into George Liddell's death after the coroner, Leonard Coyle, refused to release his body for cremation.

Dr Moor went to West End police station in Newcastle for the first time on 30 July last year and was questioned about Mr Liddell's death. Detectives subsequently interviewed him at length on a number of occasions and a file was sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Dr Moor, who had a 3,500- patient surgery at Fenham, Newcastle, before he announced his retirement earlier this year, became famous after his comments about the treatment of terminally ill patients.

His remarks came after Dr Michael Irwin, chairman of the Voluntary Euthanasia Society, said he had helped 50 patients to die.

Yesterday Dr Moor fed the goats and horses on his smallholding, but refused to comment on the charges.

Dr Irwin said yesterday that the trial was not in the public interest. "Nobody thinks David Moor is a callous killer. All his patients say he is a compassionate caring doctor who tries to do his best for each individual."

Mr Liddell, 85, a former ambulance driver, died on 19 July last year. The cause of death on the certificate, signed by Dr Moor, was given as carcinomatosis - cancer spread throughout the body - and bowel cancer.

His body was due to have been cremated five days after he died at his daughter's former home in Newcastle. The family has since moved to Ireland.

A post-mortem examination has been carried out on Mr Liddell's body to find out what level of drugs he was given before his death.

Mr Liddell, a former ambulance driver, moved from his home in Shotley Bridge, County Durham, to be cared for by his daughter, Doreen Ryan, and her husband Tony after he was diagnosed with cancer last year.

A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: "Northumbria Police submitted a file of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service and Dr Moor has been summonsed following their advice.

"Mr Liddell's family has been kept informed of developments."