East 17 singer sacked for making ecstasy remarks
"His recent remarks about drugs to the media have forced the other three members to demand that Brian leaves the band. The remaining three members of East 17 under no circumstances can condone the taking of ecstasy or any other illegal substances. They want it known that these remarks made by Brian Harvey do not reflect the views of the three other members," the statement said.
Harvey's comments, in which he said he had taken 12 tablets in one night and then driven, caused a backlash, provoking John Major to condemn him in the Commons. The band has also been taken off the playlist by 11 radio stations.
Harvey apologised on Thursday night, saying he regretted what he had said and warning: "Never take ecstasy - it can kill you." But it was not enough to appease his colleagues nor did it quieten the public or media.
A spokesman for the Oxford-based radio station Fox FM said: "Brian Harvey is going to have to come up with something more than a partial apology, which we don't believe. He has to persuade us he is really anti-drugs."
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...