`EastEnders' tops the complaints ratings
Thursday 09 November 1995
EastEnders provoked more complaints than any other television programme last year, according to research published by the Broadcasting Standards Council yesterday.
Releasing its annual survey of listeners' and viewers' concerns, the statutory body for monitoring standards of taste and decency in British broadcasting said that the BBC1 soap opera attracted 47 complaints, nearly half of which referred to the on-screen lesbian relationship between Della Alexander and Binne Roberts.
A further third related to violence, particularly at the climax of the storyline involving Grant Mitchell's aggressive lodger at the Queen Vic, Dougie.
Cracker, the gritty ITV drama series, featuring Robbie Coltrane as police psychologist Fitz, prompted 46 complaints - mostly about sex and violence - followed by Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the Nation, with 38 complaints, and Billy Connolly's World Tour of Scotland.
The most complained-about television advertisements were for Tango, which parents felt were too frightening for children, and Neutralia shower gel, which showed a brief glimpse of a nipple.
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...