Ecstasy blamed for three deaths
Two teenage boys and a 24-year-old woman died in three separate incidents at parties to celebrate the arrival of 1997.
In Cardiff, the death of 18-year-old Bilal Hussein Bhayat at a New Year's rave, prompted an outspoken attack on drug dealers by a senior South Wales police officer. Det Chief Supt Phil Jones, head of South Wales CID, said drug-sellers were "totally unscrupulous and uncaring about whether their activities led to someone's death".
Mr Bhayat, from Aston, Birmingham, was among 5,000 revellers at a 12- hour rave at Cardiff International Arena. He died within minutes of collapsing on the dance floor, despite attempts by paramedics to revive him.
Robert Hitchens, 16, is also thought to have taken ecstasy before he collapsed early on New Year's Day at a party at the David Lloyd Sports Centre in Heston, west London. Mr Hitchens, from Upminster, in Essex, was taken to Ealing Hospital where he died that afternoon. A post-mortem examina- tion will be carried out today.
In a third incident, Nicola Edwards, 24, from Middlesbrough, died in police custody after being detained on her way to a rave near Edinburgh.
She was allegedly found with drugs in her possession and detained before falling ill. She died later in Hairmyres hospital, East Kilbride.
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
New banker bonus boom: Payouts leapt 64% to new record when Chancellor George Osborne cut top-rate tax to 45p in April
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Mike Ashley wants blood after last season's trauma at Newcastle - and it won't stop with Derek Llambias
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...