Cricket: Jamaica cricket board survives pitch farce

Click to follow
The Independent Online
THE executive of the Jamaica Cricket Board has been given a vote of confidence, despite tendering their resignations after the abandoned first Test between England and the West Indies.

The Test at Jamaica's Sabina Park was abandoned on 29 January after just 10 overs because of the condition of the wicket. All but two members of the board, who were summoned to an emergency meeting on Thursday, voted to reject offers of resignation from the committee.

Jackie Hendriks, the president of the board, promised that he and his executive would do all in their power to have Sabina Park ready to host a Test match against the touring Australians next year.

He added that Jamaica had already received a lot of bad publicity due to the Test pitch.

Hendriks said that the Kingston Cricket Club, which owns the Sabina Park grounds, had now formed a committee to oversee future preparation.

Errol Ziadie, president of the Kingston club, told the meeting that the pitch committee would include representatives of the Jamaica board and the West Indies Cricket Board. Umpires ruled that the wicket used for the abandoned Test was dangerous and unfit.

The abandonment was a first in the 121-year history of Test cricket. England, having won the toss, had opted to bat first. They had reached 17 for three wickets and several of the batsmen had been hit on the gloves and body by fast, rising deliveries, when the game was called off.

Comments