English a second language in one in nine British schools
English is spoken only as a second language by the majority of children at more than one in nine schools, it was revealed tonight.
In more than 200 schools at least 90 per cent of the children do not have English as their mother tongue, the figures show, and in 1,755 schools at least 50 per cent have it as a second language.
The number of pupils who speak English as a second language has risen by 20 per cent in the last five years to 1.1 million across England, according to the Daily Telegraph citing Department for Education data.
The increase has meant that schools have had to call in interpreters to help at events such as parents’ evenings.
The school named as having the highest proportion of children with English as a second language is Sacred Heart Primary in Sandwell in the West Midlands, 99 per cent speaking another language first.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
£120 - £162 per day: Randstad Education Hull: Randstad Education require an ex...
£120 - £162 per day: Randstad Education Hull: Year 3 primary supply teacher ne...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: Supply special educational ne...