Inquiry launched into exam errors
Friday 01 July 2011
Almost half a billion pounds was wasted in a project to build fire control rooms that was flawed from the start because it failed to win the support of fire and rescue services.
The National Audit Office said the Firecontrol project to replace the 46 fire control rooms in England with nine purpose-built regional centres was mismanaged by the Department for Communities and Local Government under Labour.
The Department was accused of committing itself to the project without getting accurate estimates of cost or knowing the detail of what it would involve. The project, which wasted at least £469m, was scrapped in 2010, seven years after starting.
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
Mick Jagger denies being World Cup curse and reason for Brazil’s embarrassing defeat
Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
£10000 - £15000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: The JobWe are now rec...
£18000 - £25000 per annum + DOE, OTE £40000: SThree: LONDON - BRISTOL - DUBLIN...
£21588 - £36756 per annum + negotiable: Randstad Education Chelmsford: ICT/Com...
£110 - £120 per day + Competitive rates of pay: Randstad Education Reading: **...