Open Eye: A student's view
Thursday 04 June 1998
Margaret Burke took part in development trials last year to evaluate the effectiveness of the Discovering Science course material. She was so impressed that she signed up for the course. "I fell in love with the CD ROMS - that's the reason I took the course. They are so colourful and picturesque. With a book, my mind starts to wander after an hour, but these have your whole attention. "I can't remember anything at all about science at school except Bunsen burners. I was top in my class at maths, nearly top in English, so I wasn't a bad pupil generally.
"We started off on the OU course looking at the water cycle, and how it isimportant to life. It's a marvellous way in. You're half way through beforethey hit you with chemistry. I'm finding some of it hard, but I'm enjoying it.
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: SEN Teaching Assistant required in ...