Open Eye: ESA gives green light to Beagle 2
Thursday 03 December 1998
ESA's decision means that Professor Colin Pillinger and the Beagle 2 consortium now have until next year to raise the remainder of the pounds 25 million needed to build the lander vehicle.
Among Beagle's supporters are musicians from the band Blur, who will provide the soundtrack for a computer-generated simulation of Beagle 2's landing. Blur bassist Alex James and drummer Dave Rowntree (pictured above) met Professor Pillinger to view a model of Beagle 2. Both have a longstanding interest in space and Alex James has reportedly described Beagle's mission to search for life as `sexy'.
But ESA's approval doesn't guarantee plain sailing for the Beagle 2 project. ESA will assess the whole mission again at the end of 1999 before giving scientists and engineers the go-ahead to start building the spacecraft.
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
£110 - £120 per day + TBA: Randstad Education Reading: ICT Teacher needed for ...
£100 - £150 per day: Randstad Education Nottingham: Nursery teaching job avail...
£45 - £60 per day: Randstad Education Chester: Job Opportunities for Welsh Spe...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: The JobRandstad Educa...