Skiing: green channel
The Alps, known as "the roof garden of Europe" with 5 million tourist beds, 12,000 ski lifts, 50 million tourists and 150 million short-term visitors has long experienced the downside of catering to this increasingly popular downhill leisure pursuit. But now locals in the Lech valley in Austria, where visitors outnumber locals by 7:1 in peak season, are reclaiming their valley. Community politicians decided to restrict access to the valley in order to preserve the quality of life for locals and visitors - so when their limit of 17,000 ski tickets has been reached, the entrance doors to the valley are closed.
The goal of their loftily named Ecologically Orientated Life and Economy in Lech project is to marry a good time for the tourists with a healthy environment, a strong economy and an uncompromised local community. They are starting with solving problems such as traffic congestion and pollution and in the longer term will focus on encouraging more efficient use of water, energy and other resources.
Austria also has a "Green Village" ecolabelling programme in which 36 villages have agreed to abide by ecological criteria. The Tyrol, for instance, has a Tyrolean Environmental Seal of Quality - an ecolabelling programme for accommodation and catering businesses. "Ecology and economy are not antagonists, but partners," says the Tyrolean tourism board.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: Key Stage 2 Teacher We are currently re...
£115 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Ilford: Primary supply teaching jobs i...
Negotiable: Randstad Education London: KS1 primary teacher needed to work in o...