Valentine: The geography of lurve
Passion and travel are permanently entwined. To celebrate the first Valentine's Day to fall on a Saturday for 10 years, the travel section is offering prizes you'll love in our first `smooch your way around the world' quiz
Saturday 14 February 1998
This carrier for canoodlers has an international network that stretches all the way from Biggin Hill in Kent to Le Touquet on the north coast of France. Normally, the lowest fare on this run is an instant-purchase pounds 99 return, but Love Air (01279 681435) is offering a loving couple a free day-trip.
The 10 runners-up won't have to seek solace in each other's arms - Cadogan Books is offering its perfectly matched couple of love guides, Have Bride, Will Travel and Perfect Honeymoons and Original Weddings, which normally retail at pounds 8.99 each.
Send your entry to The Geography of Love, Travel, The Independent, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL, to arrive by 29 February (OK, we know there isn't one this year, but it sounded more romantic than 1 March).
Entries from same-sex or mixed-sex couples are equally welcome. This competition is not open to employees of Newspaper Publishing plc, their families and present or former partners. The Travel Editor's decision is possibly overly sentimental, but definitely final.
1. Success, Paradise, Friendship and Ogle are all real place names.
In which South American country would a guy find them?
2. IAN, SUE and JAN are in one country, while BOB, SID and LIZ are elsewhere. What would be the best means of transport for them to get together - and why?
3. Where is the best place to find a MAN?
4. Hope, Derbyshire; Desire, Louisiana; Happy, Texas. Which was the stamping-ground of Tennessee Williams?
5 ... and which of Alfred, Lord Byron?
6. In which US location would Gary Puckett be most likely to find true love with a young girl?
(a) Union City, Tennessee
(b) Union Grove, Illinois
(c) Union Gap, Washington
7 ... and where would Blondie be blue?
8. Which is the closest airport to Kissimmee?
(a) Love Field, Texas
(b) Orlando International, Florida
(c) French Lick, Kentucky
9. Wedding is in Germany and Blessing is in Texas. So where is Font?
10. River deep, mountain high: one of these geographical features is a mountain, while the other two are rivers. As the climax of this competition, name the hill:
(a) You, China
(b) Pasin, Guatemala
(c) Yes, England
Tie-break: complete the following in 12 words or thereabouts: "The place I would most like to be kissed is ..."
In order to avoid the risk of a Clintonesque kerfuffle, any tie-break suggestions that mention one or more body parts will be immediately disqualified.
elephant appealPrince William signs up for our charity appeal
elephant appealSo says man jailed for cutting off dead elephant's tusks
booksWe examine the best titles for teens
scienceResearchers teach border collie to understand sentences using more than 1,000 words
booksA Christmas story in six parts
travelWill high-value tourism help the workshops of this Renaissance city?
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Top PR exec Justine Sacco under fire for sending racist tweet before flying to Africa
French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
Ten best places to live in the UK: Hart in Hampshire takes top spot
The gathering storm: A look back on middle-class Europe's last carefree Christmas before the onset of World War One
Paul Walker's daughter Meadow attends Justin Bieber Believe premiere
- 1 Top PR exec Justine Sacco under fire for sending racist tweet before flying to Africa
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 The publisher who played with fire: the battle for control of Larsson's £30m legacy
- 5 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Key Stage 1 Leader- Gi...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Secondary Maths Teache...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Year 6 Teacher - Gilli...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of English - S...