Leading article: Howard's way
Thursday 06 November 2003
Michael Howard's accession to the Conservative Party throne poses the interesting question of whether he will stick by the policy decisions that have already been advanced by his predecessor, Iain Duncan Smith, on education - notably the decision to abolish all forms of tuition fees. As a former shadow Chancellor, he should realise that this would decimate university funding - particularly if his party is also dedicated to pursuing tax cuts - and lead to thousands of deserving students being denied the chance to go on to higher education. As a result, therefore, he should dispatch this proposal to the dustbin of history.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
£50 - £70 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Randstad Education are looking fo...
£100 - £160 per day + Mileage and Expenses: Randstad Education Leeds: BTEC and...
£60 - £80 per day + Mileage and Expenses: Randstad Education Leeds: We are loo...
£100 - £150 per day + Flexible with benefits: Randstad Education Group: Key St...