Eight hurt as families feud
Sunday 07 June 1998
Police sealed off a road on a council estate after reports that guns, knives, sticks and baseball bats had been used in the fracas. The fighting involved up to 20 people. A man was struck with an axe on the back of his head.
In the street outside the house where the trouble started, a person was seen lying injured for more than 45 minutes while police in a helicopter, and more officers on the ground wearing protective armour, insisted on keeping the road isolated.
People living nearby said an incident between members of the two families on Friday had caused bad feeling which turned to violence at lunchtime yesterday. The estate houses a substantial Asian community.
Armed police were sent into the estate after police in a helicopter that had been sent to the scene of the disturbance spotted a man involved in the fighting wielding a handgun.
One man suffering from serious head wounds was taken to Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...